- Use bite size treats or use the dog’s kibble. They will work for their own dog food!
- Reward behavior step-by-step. And do not get discouraged if it doesn’t look like the thing that your teaching him/her. Take baby steps and eventually you will succeed to the point that it looks like its supposed to.
- Once the final step is learned then you should start to cue the trick so that your puppy will learn the cue and will soon follow when you say the cue word, she/he will do the trick.
- Eventually wean them off the treats and then they have learned the trick!
You can also break treats like these into smaller pieces so that they do not get as much treat but is still cooperative to get the treat.
I taught Rosebud how to go through a hoop with two step stools on either side of the hoop to hold it in place and she will go through with a treat and clicker.
- Get Click and Treats.
- Set up with two step stools holding the hoop up so you can go onto one side and call her through. Say “Hoop” click and treat when she comes through the other side.